Friday 9 August 2013

Playday!

Wednesday just gone (the 7th) was Playday (http://www.playday.org.uk/), the “national day for play”! Last year, which was the first time I'd ever heard of Playday, we at the Together Through Play team (which is a grand way of saying “Angharad, Anne-Marie and I”) said “We must do something for that next year...”.

Well, we didn't. Apart from anything else, August's a tough time for organising something ourselves, because all the kids we work with are on school holiday, and because these things don't half take a lot of organising (and I doff my cap to anyone who organised one of the many events going on for this year!). Next year, though... well, next year might be different. We've given ourselves more time this time (*more* than a year, you see), and we're aiming to hook up with an external partner who knows a thing or two about organising summer time play events. So suffice to say, plans are afoot.

Whether they will materialise, remains to be seen – many a slip twixt cup and lip, and I've been in academia long enough not to count my chickens before they hatch, (not to mention acquiring a natty collection of stock phrases!). Hopefully a year gives us good time to get things together – or for everyone to forget I mentioned this if it all comes to naught...

Just two more things:

Inclusive Play have run a survey on, er, Inclusive Play to celebrate Playday: http://www.inclusiveplay.com/playday-survey-2013/

And I've been spending the last few weeks playing around with a Raspberry Pi, PyGame, switch controls and PiFace – it's been a lot of fun, and I look forward to sharing the results...

No comments:

Post a Comment