Thursday 21 July 2016

weeks commencing 11th July: Back to the Imagination

A slightly belated update - largely because holiday, graduations, and meetings haven't left me a lot of time to write, and partly because there isn't much to say of great interest. PSAT (the postural sway assessment tool) continues to tick along nicely - some of the key technical hurdles that I feared we'd hit have proven surmountable, so it's looking very promising. I've grappled with LabVIEW simulations to put the finishing touches to a paper, and with MS Project as I put together a gantt chart for an EPSRC proposal (a very involved process, since it's inevitably only in putting the gantt chart together that you spot a lot some of the issues that arise - this is where tools such as MS Project or Open Proj are much, much better than just drawing bars in Word or Excel).

Perhaps the most interesting thing that has cropped up in the last couple of weeks, have been discussions with people like Stuart Murray and Sita Popat on robots and their applications, on phenomenology, which have had me thinking once again about the Engineering Imagination - the concept that really started this blog. Between Margrit Schildrik's talk, a robot being used to deliver a bomb to kill in a police operation and attending the Robotic Surgery workshop, and picking up a copy of "Think Like an Engineer" that I spotted in Blackwell's opposite the University, I've been coming back to a lot of the issues around intent in engineering, and the time seems ripe to start unpacking that a little more, and I'd like to do that on the blog this summer. I had set myself the task of reading up on some of these issues again, but I thought that actually, it would be better for me to give my gut response first, and then do the reading up. So (touch wood), I'll be putting in some extra blog posts that contain some of my musings on these issues, rather than just updates on my week...

No comments:

Post a Comment