Tuesday 31 July 2018

2017.58333333...: Slightly-Post-Mid-Year-Review

I should really have done this at the end of June, but between exhibiting Engineering the Imagination and preparing for the SUITCEYES meeting at Leeds, it all went a bit... manic.

Anyway: let's see how I'm doing:

On the Blog

I set three goals for the whole of 2018:
* At least 24 posts (pro-rata, this would be 12 to the end of June, 14 to the end of July)
* At least 2 posts per month.
* At least 1 non-review post per month.

I was on 9 posts at the end of June, and had caught up to 13 at the end of July. (EDIT: I tried to get clever by posting this on the morning the 1st of August so this would be my August non-review post, but Blogger seems to have recorded it as 31st July - it must run on US time, I guess? Anyway, I've actually just caught up at the end of July and now need a new non-review post for August). So I'm currently 1 post off my target, but I failed to post at all in June,  missed having a non-review post in April, and this will be my fifth post in as many weeks, so I've fallen into the feast/famine pattern I wanted to avoid.

That said, I think the tick-tock approach is working well, and for the most part I'm on schedule, so I'll stick with it.

Research
* Deliver the SUITCEYES and APEX projects.

I'm doing these - we've recruited staff for SUITCEYES, begun design and experimentation so things are happening. APEX is virtually finished.

* Submit at least five grant applications as either PI or Co-I.
I'm on two at the moment, with two more in the pipeline. So, I need to find project number five!

* Submit at least two *more* papers to high quality journals (resubmitting the ones under review don't count).
Ouch. I'm on zero, at the moment. There are two in draft, though, so I think I'm on target.

* Get the MagONE force sensor incorporated into FATKAT.
Done! Ish. Laidlaw Scholar Jamie Mawhinney has put the hardware and software together. There's just the small matter of calibration...

* Get BIGKAT (the new generation of PSAT that incorporates prehensile as well as postural measures) up and running.

Done! PhD student Awais Hafeez has done sterling work on getting this working and benchmarked. Field tests to begin this autumn... You'll notice that I'm taking the credit for a lot of other

* Continue to develop the grip model to address feedback and corrections: This, having no direct funding attached to it, remains the poor cousin to other work
Done, in the sense that I have continued to develop it, rather than it being finished, but we've demonstrated predictive value of the model, and I have a fancy new way of extracting features. All hush-hush til the publications come out, though...

Other
*  Make some inventions: And get back into Leeds Hackspace while I'm at it. I haven't been for about eighteen months.
* Formulate a reading list for the Engineering Imagination.
These are two that got dropped last year, and I think they're going to get dropped this year, too. It's shaping up to be a busy autumn with everything that's going on. Well, we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment