Friday 28 September 2018

Month in Review: September 2018

September signals the approach of teaching - maybe less so this year, since term starts late, but that has been the dominant feature. Students are back, I've run the Welcome back talks (as I'm stepping back in as Programme Manager,  while my successor goes on secondment), and lectures begin on Monday. So if things aren't ready now, it's too late.

This is the time of year when you're glad you sent things off to print in July, and wrote the exam well in advance. I have a new module proposal, which I haven't quite finished, which I'd hoped to clear off my desk before teaching hit, but still: it's mostly there.

And this is important, because research doesn't go away just because of teaching.  We have a SUITCEYES review meeting with the European Commission next month, and deliverables in November, so there can be no sacking up! Still, things are moving: Yang is hard at work developing our sensor systems, technical architecture details are being agreed with CERTH, and I've been developing the new iteration of haptic display drivers (now with added solenoids and I2C communication - a version using feedback for position control is due soon), but most of all - our Work Package 2 research fellow, Adriana, has now carried out the first three interviews for the project, with more to come.  It's Aan important milestone for the project, and great work from Adriana! Here's to the next round...

No comments:

Post a Comment