Friday 17 July 2015

Week in Review: 13th July

It's been a busy week. In good ways, generally: attending a workshop for Leeds Institute of Data Analytics; a constructive meeting with HR and my line manager to review my return to work  (key takeaway: to slow down my return); PACLab; a meeting of the PACLab core team to agree summer priorities; a meeting with Anne-Marie Moore (Together Through Play researcher) and Angharad Beckett for the first time since Anne-Marie's viva; a meeting with our Director of Research to get feedback on my Fellowship; a meeting to discuss a forthcoming EPSRC bid on rehab robotics on which I'm co-I; a meeting with my summer intern student to discuss his progress with FATKAT (in a nutshell: good, and starting to break ground on actual data processing); and a meeting with Bryan Matthews from transport studies to discuss another potential research bid on accessible transport, and the focus groups to underpin it.

These are all good and productive things: this is the "end of the beginning" of my return to work, moving from planning and prioritising and just remembering what work is like to actually doing things. But there's no question I overdid it this week: that's 12 hours of meetings in a week where I'm meant to be doing 18 hours' work. Despite my best intentions, I ended up doing 20 hours, and I'm really feeling it!

I'll definitely have to watch out for that next week.

On the plus side things are coming together - but I can see I'll need to be more careful about pacing myself in future, rather than getting overexcited about being back. Still, at least there're things to get excited about, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment